Copyright © Bridgwater Blake Museum 2016
First-hand Cookies are neither requested nor generated by this site
The Curators of Blake Museum
From 1926, Mr G. D. Cuzner, the Town's Librarian was appointed Curator. The caretaker was Mr F Wills and was given
the title Museum Attendant in 1948, and promoted to Assistant Curator in 1951. The Museum was managed by an
1956 Mr Cuzner retired and succeeded by Mr Angus Dunn, Town's Librarian
The Advisory Committee was disbanded, and the museum was run by staff augmented by a part time
curatorial assistant from Somerset County Museum.
1974 Mr Dunn retired and was succeeded by Mr G. W. Hurley, his deputy, who managed the Museum until 1975
Mr John St. John Earle was appointed Custodian of the Museum.
1983/4 Mr St. John Earl resigned and the Council contemplated closing the Museum. Bridgwater Museum Society
offered to manage the Museum, and Mr Nick Nicholson was appointed voluntary Administrator. Mrs Mary Thyne became
Honorary Collections Manager.
1988 6 January Bridgwater Museum Trust set up to purchase the old Mill, next door, and develop it as an extension to
1994 Mary Thyne was appointed Hon Curator, and Nick Nicholson retired. Sarah Harbige was appointed Museums
Officer for the SDC, overseeing all the museums in the District.
1994-2000 The Museum Society seems to have suffered a slow decline.
Mill partially destroyed through arson'.
The Museum receives Registration.
2000 David Sebborn was appointed Education and Outreach Officer.
2000 13 March Inaugural meeting of the Friends of Blake Museum.
2002 Sarah Harbige resigned and was succeeded by Jessica Vale.
The Council proposed closing the Museum and moving the contents elsewhere in the town. Also in the spring of
2004 a 'Blake Museum Working Group was formed with the object of securing the future of the Museum.
Highly successful Blake 350 celebrations were held over 6 months in the town.
13 November. Sedgemoor District Council announced the Museum was to close.
During this year much work was done on the basis of the previous work of the 'Blake Museum Working Group'. The
result was the the Museum was gifted to the Bridgwater Town Council by the District Council, with a 4 year dowry to pay
for the restoration. Dr Peter Cattermole was the Convenor of the project.
The District Council agreed to hand the Museum over on 31 March.
2009 March Jessica Vale, and the paid staff, Alison Mason, Musetta Lynch and Sue Habgood all left.
2009 During this year there was no formal Curator, and Dr Cattermole was known as the Museum Coordinator and
oversaw the work of refurbishment.
Dr Peter Cattermole appointed as Hon Curator, John Robins and Tony Woolrich as Hon Deputy Curators.
John Robins resigned as Hon Deputy Curator.
Dr Peter Cattermole resigned as Hon Curator. Tony Woolrich appointed Hon Curator and Mike Searle and Esther
Checketts appointed Hon Deputy Curators.
If you wish to use any of the images contained within this website, please ask for permission first.
Please do not steal other peoples work.