Copyright © Bridgwater Blake Museum 2016
First-hand Cookies are neither requested nor generated by this site
Blake House before it was the museum. It adjoins Lonsdale House
to the left. The wooden doors to the right led straight through the
building to the garden at the rear. Later it was used as a garage.
The passage was removed in the 1950s, as the adjoining gallery
The view in the opposite direction down Blake Street.
Lonsdale house to the left, followed by Blake House.
Then follows No 6 Blake Street, a cottage with the bay window, which was absorbed into the
museum in 1962. The Town Mill is at the bottom of the street. It was acquired by the District
Council for the museum in 2000.
One of the rooms of Blake house when it was a private residence. It
is now the Blake Room, to the left of the entrance hall.
The fire-place was removed after the building was bought by the
council, and a false wall was built a short distance in front of it.
At the time of the sale, in 1924, it was owned by Mr William Kitch, a
builder, who also owned the mill nearby.
From the Western Morning News, 22nd August 1924
Admiral Blake’s Birthplace.
Bridgwater Property as Musuem.
Bridgwater Town Council resolved at yesterday's meeting to acquire Blake House
(birthplace of Admiral Blake) and grounds for £976 for the provision of a museum
for the town and for extending the public gardens adjoining the property.
To the rear of Blake House was a large walled garden, backing onto the grounds of Binford House – later Blake gardens.
In about 1930 this was added to Blake Gardens, becoming the well-known Rose Garden. In turn, around 1990 the beds
were removed and the area grassed.
Blake House and Gardens c1900
If you wish to use any of the images contained within this website, please ask for permission first.
Please do not steal other peoples work.